Course Open
Ladies' History

The West Lancashire Ladies Golf Club was the first Ladies club in Lancashire.

The first meeting was held on 26th October 1891, at “Seathwaite” Burbo Bank Road, the home of Mr and Mrs J. W. Fowler. Mr Fowler subsequently became the first Trustee of the Club and his wife was a founder member of the Club and the first elected County Captain. Thirty-eight Ladies who attended the first meeting of the Ladies Club and indicated their intention of membership became the founder members. West Lancashire Ladies Golf Club was also one of the founder members of Lancashire Ladies County Golf Club which is now the Lancashire Ladies County Golf Association.

The first Course had nine holes and occupied part of the area covered by the subsequent 18 hole golf course between the railway and the shore.

The original Clubhouse was a small building, which was extended and was fitted out in 1892. There were 159 members and 45 associate Gentlemen members in the Club and by1895 it was decided to build a new and larger Clubhouse and an 18-hole course.

Also in 1895 the first President of the Ladies Club, Lady Forwood, died and The Countess of Derby succeeded her as President.

1895 saw the first friendly game against Wirral Ladies and in 1898 the first match against Formby Ladies was played, a custom, which has continued to this day.

By 1912 there were a total of 320 Lady members plus 153 associate members and 100 conditional members making a total of 573 members. The course was lengthened and it was described as “one of the finest Links in the United Kingdom”.

In August 1914 all fixtures were cancelled with the outbreak of war and in 1915 Officers in uniform were allowed to play for free with a member with Competitions being held to raise money for War funds.

In the years 1918-1939 there was an average of 390 members including a flourishing Junior section and a number of associate Gentlemen members.

In 1926 Sunday play was allowed and in 1927 Silver spoons were given for winning medals.

At the outbreak of The Second World War on the 3rd September 1939, the Clubhouse was requisitioned by the Military. Sadly members were not able to use the Clubhouse again as it was so badly damaged by the Military. A further loss occurred in May 1941 when all the honours boards and a considerable amount of the Club furniture were destroyed by enemy action. A new Clubhouse had to be found, and a lease was taken out on “The Shanty” cottage by the railway. The Club remained open throughout the war, but play was severely restricted to 9 Holes due to mines on the course.

With the Ladies Course ravaged by sand, military occupation and neglect, 1947 brought about an amalgamation whereby The West Lancashire Ladies Golf Club Ltd was put into voluntary liquidation, and from 1st June 1947 their members became Lady members of The West Lancashire Golf Club.

A new Clubhouse “Brooklyn”in Hall Road West was purchased for the Ladies and the first meeting was held in November 1947.The possibility of a merged course and new Clubhouse was put to a Ladies meeting as early as 1955, but it was not until 1961 that a new course was opened. In May 1962 the last Ladies’ meeting was held at “Brooklyn”. By the end of May when the new, present Clubhouse was finished there was a full amalgamation with the Gentlemen of 214 Lady members of which 160 played regularly.

1991 was the Centenary year of The West Lancashire Ladies. There were many events that year including The English Ladies Intermediate Stroke play Championship and the Lancashire Ladies County Championship.

The last 25 years have seen some changes with the Equality Act. The Ladies are now also elected members on Council and on all of the Committees in the Club. They also pay the same subscription and have the same rights as the gentlemen.

In 2012 there was a restructuring of the ladies tees with 9 new tees applied to the Red course and a new Blue tee course largely based on the old course with seven new tee positions was also introduced which has given greater flexibility for competitions and choice of play.

2016 was the 125th year of The West Lancashire Ladies with many events being hosted by the Ladies section including The Lancashire Senior Ladies County Championship, The Lancashire Ladies County Championship and The English Women’s Amateur Championship.

Ladies Golf Club House
1895-1939
 
Ladies Golf
Ladies golf in front of the old Club House
 
Hollie Muse
Our own member Hollie Muse holds the amateur course record of 68 for the new Ladies Red Course which she achieved in 2013 at the age of thirteen.